Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Being Busy vs. Intentional Living-

We often say things like"Oh, life has just been crazy lately", or "We are so busy this year". We say this as if we have no control over our circumstances. I sometimes get to feeling this way. I literally get this vision in my head of being dragged behind a horse or a car when I get too stressed out. But Kent and I have seen families in our church deal with this like no one else- they don't do it! It is amazing- I tell you, we have tried this way of living, and it is wonderful. We will not go back to the craziness.
What am I talking about, you ask? Well, here's a before and after:
Before we learned to dump the stress: I would get really stressed out and really behind in everything, feel strung out and pressured from everyone to fulfill obligations. The first thing to go would be my prayer and bible study time, any attention and thoughts toward my husband and kids, and the house (what dishes and laundry? not to mention finances as I quit cooking and hit the fast food). I would make myself appear really put-together, but my family and household would be suffering and stressed out as well. We were not living out the priorities we claimed were important: family, friends, helping one another. Instead the activities and programs of our lives would consume all of our time and energy. And for what?
After we learned to live intentionally: If we see any of our priorities falling by the wayside, an activity has to go. Priorities: our spiritual development, our marriage, training our children to be obedient and loving, hospitality, and building community within our church and extended family.
This is how we live now, not just how we try to live. Whenever I start to feel like life is dragging me around by a rope, I realize that I do not need to brace myself for the ride. I can simply cut the rope.

2 comments:

Chic Mama said...

Okay, yes, yes- I get your point! However, I am really looking forward to the next few months, as "crazy" as they may be! I think it will be a time of great growth and learning and in order to not get stressed out about it I need to keep my priorities straight (as you mentioned) and get organized- then I should be fine. Thank you though for your words of wisdom! They are not wasted! I will be sure to keep scissors in hand in case ropes need to be cut for the sake of greater priorities! Well said!

Kent and TerriLyn said...

Thank you for the timely reminder. Yours is a good description of my life this past week. Today is a good day to start over and do things differently.